I am officially a pancake convert. I’ve never been anti-pancake, per-say, but I am definitely someone who would choose waffles/avocado toast/yogurt and granola/oatmeal over pancakes every time. (Can you tell I’m a breakfast person?)
Fortunately, this all changed when these slightly sweet, light, tender, perfect pancakes fell onto my plate, covered in a cascade of fresh, ripe, end of summer strawberries. They fit my checklist of a perfect pancake in every way. The nutty whole wheat flavor I love is definitely present, but somehow the pancakes still retain an airy tenderness. The pancakes are protein packed (12 grams for the recipe!), but without any of the odd flavor I find “protein pancakes” sometimes have. The honey-lemon flavor is subtle but essential, making these pancakes the perfect last hurrah for summer flavors.
Considering I basically just wrote an ode to pancakes, I think it’s pretty obvious how much I adore them. These pancakes come together in no time, so while they are the quintessential slow, lazy weekend breakfast, I’m sure you could also whip some up when you want something special before work/school. And yes, I would absolutely wake up early to make these. They’re THAT GOOD.
If you do any one thing for yourself this weekend, it should definitely be making these pancakes (preferably in your bathrobe, while playing your favorite peaceful music/podcast, after sleeping in for a couple extra hours).
Honey Lemon Pancakes
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbs greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp honey
- ¼ cup wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs sparkling water
- Combine egg and yogurt in a small bowl and mix until smooth and custard-like in appearance.
- Add in lemon juice and honey, then stir until incorporated completely.
- Gently fold in flour until mixture is smooth and uniform.
- Combine sparkling water and baking soda in a separate bowl. Once the mixture begins to fizz, stir it into the pancake batter.
- Set greased pan over high heat
- After about 30 seconds, begin adding ¼ cup batter to pan until all the batter has been used. (Should make four medium sized pancakes)
- Cloak with strawberries, drizzle with syrup, and enjoy!
Now that my love for pancakes has been activated, I’d love to hear all your favorite recipes! And if you make these, I’d love to hear about that too! Basically, just share all your pancake adventures with me on Instagram or in the comments. Have a great weekend <3