Grocery Shopping and Meal Prep Guide (1/29)
Three of my biggest values for my blog are showing that nutritious food can be easy to prepare, delicious, and affordable. While I’m all for treating myself and splurging on fancy products from time to time, I think its also important to acknowledge that most of us can’t afford to constantly be buying expensive superfoods or the newest trendy product. With all that in mind, I wanted to share a grocery shopping and meal prep guide based on what I purchased and prepared this week. I did all my shopping at Trader Joe’s (not at all affiliated, just a fan), but I think you could find many of these items at other stores.
What I purchased:
- Sprouted Whole Wheat Bagels ($2.49)
- Cinnamon Puffins ($3.99)
- Trader Joe’s Almond Milk ($1.79)
- 16 oz Full-fat Greek Yogurt ($1.99)
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts ($2.49)
- Tricolor Carrots ($1.99)
- 1 Sweet Potato ($0.89)
- 2 Larabars ($1.19 each)
- 1 Perfect Bar ($1.99)
- Total cost: $20
- Note: I recently bought a ton of ground turkey ($5) on sale, so I already had it in my freezer and used it in my meal prep this week.
What I made:
Coconut Curry Meatball Bowls (serves 2)
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/4 c. almond milk
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Optional: cilantro
- Thoroughly combine meatball ingredients in medium bowl, then form into ~8 meatballs.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add meatballs, then pour sauce over the top. Reduce heat to medium, cover pan, then cook for 25-30 minutes (until meatballs are fully cooked).
- I served mine over a combination of white rice and cauliflower rice, but I imagine they would also be delicious in a salad or grain bowl.
Roasted Veggie Bowl (Serves 2)
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 carrots
- 6 brussels sprouts
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- Your favorite spices (I used ancho chili powder, cumin, and salt)
- Preheat oven to 425 ºF and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Dice sweet potato, carrots and brussels sprouts, then spread out on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then roast for 25 minutes.
- While veggies are roasting, heat olive oil in skillet. Add ground turkey, then sprinkle with spices. Sauté for 5-10 minutes, until turkey is browned.
Other meal prep friendly recipes:
If you have your own meal prep tips or tricks and/or found this Grocery Shopping and Meal Prep Guide useful, let me know in the comments or on Instagram!